Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Right Place - Right Time


One of my favorite lessons from the scriptures is that I want to be an instrument in the Lord's hands.


Sometimes that brings visions of grandeur.  Wanting to give every homeless person a warm, comfortable place to sleep.  Wanting to fill every hungry child's belly.  Wanting to save the world.


To be His instrument in these specific cases would require monumental resources that I just don't have.  Mother Teresa had it right when she said, "Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."


True enough.


I need to remind myself that sometimes the Lord doesn't need a backhoe, but a small digging tool.  He doesn't always require me to be a wood chipper, but rather a small hatchet.  He hasn't yet asked me to be the Sun, but He has asked me to be a sunbeam and to let my light shine.


Twice within the past 24 hours, He has asked me to help out in very small and simple ways.  Last night, the missionaries were trying to visit someone upstairs who wasn't home.  One of the elders needed to use a bathroom, and couldn't wait until he got back to his apartment.  I overheard him telling this to his companion so I invited them in.  He was very grateful, and relieved.


This morning, I happened to be outside when I saw a poor old gentleman digging through the Dumpster looking for aluminum cans.  I gave him two bags that I had collected from drinking soda at home.  There were almost tears in his eyes as he gently took them and said, "Gracias, papa".


Did I save the world?  No.  Did I help someone in a very small and simple way that helped move them forward?  Yes.


It's good to know I can make a difference in someone's day just by being in the right place at the right time.




Bro. H.  

No comments:

Post a Comment