Monday, May 9, 2011

Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut


Recently, I've been struggling with some advice a priesthood leader gave me.  I won't go into details here, because first and foremost, I take seriously the sustaining vote I gave him, and still give him.


I think we all struggle, from time to tine, with the well-meant advice others give to us.  Maybe it's just because of my exposure to the LDS culture, but maybe it goes beyond us Mormons.  The advice I want to discuss in this post has been given to me and to others I know.  Depending on how it's given, who it's given to, and where we are in life when we receive it, this advice can be either very helpful or very damaging.


I'm talking about those times when we feel down, depressed or have other mental or emotional issues that are very real and affect our lives in extremely profound ways.

And the advice?



"Get out and serve others."


Now, I heartily believe that service is critical to us as individuals, us as a people and us as the human race.  Selfless service to others does indeed help the server feel blessed and helps the served receive blessings of accepting service.


However, when one is clinically depressed or has a chemical imbalance or is at the point mentally, emotionally and physically where they need professional help, this advice can sound trite and trivial.  It compounds both our illness and our feelings of guilt.


Again, there is nothing wrong with service - or with the injunction to serve others as we have the means and can actually do some good.


But, if we don't have the means (and that means both financially, time-wise and mentally), then what?


I think we can take a lesson from the great King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon.  He told us we should give freely of our resources to the poor.  But, he also followed that up with the caution that we do not give beyond our means.  He said if we cannot give, we should say within our hearts that we would give if we could.


The same goes with service.


How often have I been guilty of saying or even thinking that if they (whoever is suffering) would just get up and out and serve, they would be fine?


Would I say that to someone who is having a heart attack?  Would I say it to someone who has a compound fracture?  NO!  So why in the world would I say it to someone who has an infirmity that is every bit as real and physical as someone needing CPR or a splint?


Exactly.  Sounds dumb, right?


So, starting today, I'm going to try to really think before I speak.  And I will pray for us all to serve when we can - when we honestly have the means, and let God be the judge of me when I cannot.


Have a beautiful Monday!




Brother H.

No comments:

Post a Comment