Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Blessings Continue

Photo ©2011, James Hofheins. All Rights Reserved

Today has been a very busy day.  Now, what I'm about to say, I want you to know I say without boasting.  I cannot boast of tender mercies the Lord provides me.  As King Benjamin said in the famous "seminary scripture", Mosiah 2:17, "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

Being in the service of the Master is an honor, and He has provided me some opportunities to serve today.

As you may know, I was privileged to be a part of the "Find Susan" social media blitz just over a year ago.  I was part of a well-organized team of folks (the friends and family of Susan Cox Powell) who put together and executed a plan to get the word out about her disappearance.  We still have not found her, but we have not given up, either.
This afternoon, I received an email from someone who is involved in finding another missing person.  Because I don't have authority to publicly talk about it, I can't identify the case right now, but she asked for advice on how to do a social media blitz to help find the missing person.  That she asked me for advice and help is truly an honor.

I was really surprised when she asked how much I charge for doing so.  I had not thought about and would not think about charging to help an agonizing family find their loved one.

I don't know where they go from here, but I hope the information I was able to provide is helpful, and of course, I am willing to continue to help.

I have also been involved in helping a start-up with some brand management through social media.  This has also kept me pretty busy today.  I'm really grateful that the Lord allows me to share what I can to help others with anything I may know something about.  And who knows?  Perhaps it will turn into something full time where I can help a paying company or cause in the future?

Finally, and I hesitate to mention this because it could appear as boasting, I was honored to help a long-distance friend, and in the process, help myself.  She recently lost a dear friend of hers and wanted to talk about it.  I think she helped me more, however, because the death of her friend and the death of my brother Mark five years ago, had some uncanny similarities.  In talking to her about my brother's death, it lifted me somehow.  It brought back some really good memories of Mark.  It left me feeling lighter and closer to both my friend and my brother.  I hope that anything I told her has helped lift her burden.
I know it lifted mine.


Brother H.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I have been pondering lately on service and how it is what this life is all about. If pride is the universal sin, then humble service is surely the antidote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, Keeley. Service to others (and humbly accepting service from others) can really help both the server and the served get out of the disastrous web of pride. Thank you so much for your comment!

    Brother H.

    ReplyDelete