Sunday, February 20, 2011

Motivations and Intentions


I had good intentions when I told my friend I was going to church today.

Really.

But by the time it was time to get ready, I didn't have the oomph.  My back was hurting like crazy, and I just didn't have the energy.  She must think I'm the worst friend, ever.

We had planned it so we could prod and motivate each other to go.  She apparently has somewhat of a lack of motivation to go as well.  We were going to help each other.

A, if you're reading this, please know how sorry I am.  I really did want to go today.  But in the end, I failed you.  I'm sorry.

As my dad likes to remind me, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  However, I also know from that same dad that the Lord is merciful and benevolent beyond any measure on our part to comprehend.

I'm depending on that mercy and benevolence.

Sometimes I wonder if old scratch - the one who actively opposes all that is good and right, somehow is able to wrench my back every Sunday morning, making it especially difficult to find the cheerful outlook and energy to get ready and just go.  The spirit is willing but the flesh, indeed, is weak.

Brother H.

No comments:

Post a Comment